Friday, January 05, 2007

New Ball

Look at the ball of wool that Kiddo and I wound yesterday!
ball of cascade
Yesterday morning it was a hank of Cascade 220, sent by Caitlyn in the One Yard Fabric Swop. This morning it was a ball. The first hank I have ever wound!

It might surprise some knitters, but hanks seem to me to be a recent innovation in knit-retailing. Only in the last five years have I seen yarn sold in hanks: for as long as I've been buying it its been in ready-wound balls.

Of course, I have wound balls before, but always from the tangled remains of another ball. Never from a hank.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hanks are being brought back, I think, rather than being a new thing - mum remembers, as a child, having to sit holding the hank so her mum (my grandma) could wind it into a ball.

Dormouse said...

I used to love helping my Mum winding wool.

When my Gran couldn't knit any more my Mum inherited all her yarn and a lot of that was really old and in hanks.

Iris said...

Happy New Year to you, and welcome to the wonderful world of yarn winding... ;-) I've just recently bought a swift for that purpose because it always seems to take me ages to wind yarn into a ball (and D likes to complain about being used as a yarn holder...).

Iris
xx

Ferret said...

OK, one has your name on it, I'll be interested to see what you make. I will try and get to is soon but no promises. Don't forget I will need a mailing address.

Kate North said...

Penny, I'd be delighted to send you a card - it will have to be from the next batch (which will have a (loose) Valentine theme and probably feature some fusing or burning or both - I intend to get the soldering iron out for that one! I expect to get those out by the beginning of Feb. I'll need your postal address of course - if my email doesn't show on this comment it's katelnorth at yahoo dot com. (this whole anonymous comment thing with blogger is making me crazy!) Kate

Anonymous said...

Very impressive! Oh, and Happy New Year to you (all). I bookmarked you while we were on the phone, you see...