Sunday, July 23, 2006

Quilted!

My charmed quilt is now quilted, and I've sewn on the binding on two sides.

I'm really pleased with it so far. It is the first bit of quilting I've done (and I'm entering it for a competition?!?). The quilting is really simple. Where I've used pictures cut out from fabric, I've quilted round the lines of the pictures, eg round the wizard's hand and the outline of the dragon. I've also quilted straight lines between the silvery lines I showed in the last post. The last bit of quilting has lines between the wizard's crystal ball and a circular picture of the charmed dragon and boy.

I took a whole load of pictures in the hopes of showing you how effectiveness of the quilted spell lines, but none of them captured it.

There's a large area (about 4 inches by 8 inches) where there is no quilting. Two of the hanging rings on the back are in the unquilted area, which makes it a very unstable area. It is all night sky, so I'm debating what to put in there. I could do a crescent moon or some stars, or just a few odd stitches. I'm inclined to do some very small stars.

Over the years I've done lots of sewing, so the only really new technique is quilting.

Lastly, Ferret is wondering about arranging a meetup at the Festival of Quilts at the NEC in Birmingham. Anyone else interested?

1 comment:

Ferret said...

Maybe we are the only bloggers going to the NEC? Although it looks like my blog is only read by about a dozen people in the UK so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.