Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Pictures of the leaf quilt

I realised I've probably said a lot about my leaf quilt, but you've never seen any pictures. So I took some this morning.

maple leaf blocks

maple leaf blocks

Currently it is in two pieces: I just need to sew them together.

Then add the borders, sort out the back, do the whole quilting thing, bind the edges, possibly add some more applique, and then actually put the darn thing to use. There's a little bit more work to do - perhaps twice what's already been done.

I'm rather pleased with the way I have done the stems of the leaves. Normally a maple leaf block has the stem appliqued in place before you start sewing the blocks together. When the blocks are sewn together, you end up with a right angle - like the stem on the left in the picture.

close up of maple leaf blocks


However, this quilt has a marginally more natural feel, so only some are like that. With others, I unpicked the applique stitches before sewing the blocks together (if I'd planned in advance I wouldn't have needed to unpick). Then I appliqued them so the stem went onto the next block. Some of the time, the stem only showed up on one neighbouring block (the one on the right) and some of the time on all the neighbouring blocks (central stem).

2 comments:

Ferret said...

Very impressive. I didn't expect it to look so alive and vibrant. I'm very glad you put up the pictures. I like the fact you have some brown leaves in there too.

Anne Wigfull said...

Wonderful colours. I like the way you have brought some of the appliquéd stems into the neighbouring block.