Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Waistcoat - done

At last my waistcoat is finished and I am extremely pleased with it.

square of

The kit was bought from a charity shop some time ago: at the time, it looked very dated, but I loved the colours. So into a cupboard it went, waiting for the perfect project.
square of


And then, about this time last year, I went into Next (a UK clothing retailer) and was surrounded by garments in the colours and styles of the waistcoat from the kit. The perfect project was for it to be itself.

Yes, it needed a little bit of work to be the self it ought to be. The dark brown was wrong for the twenty-first century: when I piled some other yarns near it the red Rowan felted tweed livened up the other colours, and made it more modern. The kit waistcoat was too short, so I lengthened the ribbing (8 rows instead of 4) and made the body a lot longer. This had the effect of using up a lot of the main yarn, so I changed the colours above the yoke, and also the armhole.

There were lots and lots of ends to sew in, but I finished on Sunday. It was looking good.

On Monday I put it on, and it was instant love. I was hoping to like it, but instead it is gorgeous. Modern and retro and rustic, in colours I love.
square of

4 comments:

Roobeedoo said...

You see - keep something long enough and it will come back into fashion! It's very "White Stuff" winter 2009 I would say!

tea and cake said...

This is gorgeous, well done, you! I love it, and would wear it, too. x

Heather said...

The waistcoat looks lovely, just the thing for the current weather too!

Shan said...

Oh I like that!