Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Great Wool Sort of 2006

Obviously, this blog post should be about the things I bought at Alexandra Palace. But it isn't. This post is really about the wool already had.

(For those interested, if you count the scrumble pack from Taj yarns as containing four balls of wool, I bought 21 balls in total.)

I've been tracking how much I bought over the last year and how much I used/gave away, and they come out roughly equal. However, that still left me with the problem of knowing what I had. Or more importantly whether I ever had enough of any one type to make the things I want to make.

Which led to the Great Wool Sort of 2006. pictures of labelled balls of yarn
It was a simple process. I sorted the yarn in the big blue box into categories (usually brand/type, occasionally yarn-type), and wrote the number of different balls of each colour onto bits of paper.

One conclusion was inevitable.

I have rather a lot of yarn.

I won't say how much, but it is a number of jumpers-worth.

Actually having enough for several jumpers doesn't bother me, it is all the odd balls, like the ones in the picture. I bought them when I was thinking about knitting some Kaffe-Fassett style jumpers. On the other hand, imagine if I'd bought enough for a jumper each time I bought a single ball...

2 comments:

Dormouse said...

It's only too much when you need an entire room to store your stash. ;)

Mandy said...

Oh yes, I agree about the odd balls being the ones that bother me. I actually like having enough yarn for several big projects- I usually know what I want that yarn to be, and that is the first step towards actually using it. The smaller amounts of stuff I don't always know what to do with, and that makes me feel more unsettled about it.